We have formulated and designed this ambitious project of Indo-French cooperation in social sciences between the French Institute of Pondicherry (IFP, UMIFRE 21, USR 3330) and Pondicherry University (School of Social Sciences and International Studies), with a view towards developing a multi-year programme of intensive and multidisciplinary training workshops addressing theoretical and methodological issues in social science research. This practical setup will provide each and everyone with the opportunity of sharing experiences and research ideas.
This training workshop has four main objectives:
- To create a highly efficient tool in research capacity-building;
- To strengthen the visibility of the Indo-French cooperation in India;
- To consolidate a community of young scholars, senior scientists and experts.
More tangible results and outcomes are expected:
- Development of a bilingual website in French and English (with digital resources);
- Validation through delivery of certificates upon completion of the training;
- Writing of a scientific, pedagogical and technical report;
- Publication of proceedings in paper (IFP Publications) and digital (Website) formats.
With the limit of sixty trainees, the targeted audience will be mainly M Phil or Ph.D. students (registered or to be registered), mainly based in India but also abroad. Participants will be selected on the basis of their qualifications, while taking into account the value of the training with regards to their research or professional projects.
The training will take place at Pondicherry University (School of Social Sciences and International Studies, Silver Jubilee Campus) from the 7th to the 13th of December 2014; it will gather daily between 80 and 90 people, including trainees, trainers and organizers.
The training will run through five consecutive days and will be articulated around two poles: the plenary sessions and the methodological-disciplinary workshops, as detailed below:
- MoU- day one (8th December 2014) signature of new partnerships and agreements between Indian and French academic institutions.
- The plenary sessions- for one day (8th December 2014) will have 5-6 oral presentations, presented by experienced, French and Indian researchers. The aim is to present the state of the art, overview of the theoretical and methodological issues on a particular research topic.
- The methodological and disciplinary workshops- for the following three full days (9-11 December 2014), four workshops à la carte for small groups will be devoted to tutorials. It will discuss theoretical models, text analysis, survey methods and data collection, data analysis, etc.
- Knowledge restitution- The training will end (12th December 2014) with a half-day of knowledge restitution and delivery of certificates to participants.
Click here to download the Program Template.
A theme will be chosen every year as a guideline throughout the training workshop. We have identified several possible cross-cutting themes and sub-topics in the field of social sciences: mobility (migrations, social networks, globalization), environmental health (emerging diseases, health governance, public policies), vulnerabilities (social, economic, and ecological), inequalities and social change, gender studies, urban studies.
For the 2014 Edition, the following theme has been chosen: “Health and Societal challenges: Methodological Approaches in Social Sciences.” Four parallel workshops will be coordinated by four international teams of academics: Access to health care services and globalization (W1); Impact assessment of public policies and development programmes (W2); Analysis of sanitary controversies (W3); Outside the archive! Repositioning histories of science, technology and medicine (W4).
Side activities will be proposed throughout the training on the campus of the University of Pondicherry, where the participants will be accommodated, and also at IFP: exhibitions (posters, institutional), screening of documentary films, meetings and informal exchanges.
The team of trainers will be multidisciplinary and international, composed according to the chosen theme, while taking into account the availability of local human resources: IFP (about 5-6 permanent research scholars) and Pondicherry University (senior scientists). Other trainers will be solicited from various French institutions such as the Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales (EHESS), the Centre d’Etudes de l’Inde et de l’Asie du Sud (CEIAS, UMR 8564) and the Institut de Recherche pour le Développement (IRD), but also from several Indian universities and research centers of excellence.
- The deadline for registration is October 22, 2014;
- The following application form should be filled-up and other documents (a full CV, a Postgraduate degree certificate as well as a copy of ID) should be sent by email to email@example.com (only Pdf files);
- Selected students will be offered round trip train fare (II Sleeper) and accommodation for the duration of the programme in the University campus;
- Registration fees of Rs. 1,000 payable at Pondicherry University (Demand Draft) after the selection process is over.
- Dr. Thanuja Mummidi, Anthropology, Lecturer, Centre for Study of Social Exclusion and Inclusive Policy, Pondicherry University
- Dr. Christophe Jalil Nordman, Economy, Research scholar (IRD-DIAL)