Theme: "Mobility and Social Dynamics"
The Social Sciences Winter School in Pondicherry has been designed as a programme of intensive and multidisciplinary training workshops addressing theoretical and methodological issues in social sciences research.
Dates: November 28 to December 2, 2016
Venue: Pondicherry University and the French Institute of Pondicherry
Each edition of the Winter School is based on a cross-cutting theme in the field of social sciences, taken as a guideline throughout the training workshop. For the 2016 Edition, the following theme has been chosen: “Mobility and Social Dynamics”.
The specific topics addressed encompass: spatial and social mobility, circulation, international migration, diaspora and the homeland, gender, survey design, data collection and analysis.
Three parallel workshops will be coordinated by international teams of academics, with specific themes:
Workshop 1. Documenting Processes of Spatial Mobility: Qualitative and Ethnographic Approaches
Workshop 2. Using Survey Data to Understand Social and Geographical Mobility
Workshop 3. Social Mobility in its Indian Complexity: Conceptual and Methodological Dynamics
During five consecutive days, the Winter School will be organised around two poles:
- plenary sessions (one day, lectures by senior academics) presenting state of the art, overview of theoretical and methodological issues on a particular research topic;
- methodological and disciplinary workshops (three full days, three workshops à la carte for small groups) devoted to tutorials: theoretical models, text analysis, survey methods and data collection, data analysis, etc.
The training will end with a one-day knowledge and project restitutions and the delivery of certificates to participants.
The Winter School is open to Doctoral and Master Students of all fields in social sciences. Trainees will be selected on the basis of their qualifications, while taking into account the value of the training with regards to their research or professional projects.
The teams of trainers will be multidisciplinary and international, composed of young and senior researchers originating from several Indian universities and research centres of excellence, as well as from abroad. It is the result of a long-lasting Indo-French collaboration between Pondicherry University and the French Institute in Pondicherry, as well as with CNRS, IRD and EHESS in France.
The training will take place at Pondicherry University (School of Social Sciences and International Studies, Silver Jubilee Campus) and at the French Institute of Pondicherry (IFP), from November 28 to December 2, 2016.
· The deadline for registration is September 30, 2016
· Please fill in and submit the electronic application form via the following link: https://goo.gl/forms/
· The application should further include:
Ø Full CV
Ø Postgraduate degree certificate
These 2 documents should be sent by email to email@example.com
· The registration fees of Rs. 2,000 are payable at Pondicherry University on arrival.
· Selected students will be offered round trip train fare (II Sleeper) and accommodation for the duration of the programme in the University campus.
All correspondence should be addressed to the team of coordinators:
More information and detailed programme can be found on the website of the Winter School: